Wednesday, May 28, 2008
I was browsing in my laptop. Saija was listening to music in my room. Atte, Saija's friend called. Atte said, do you have two suns in Oulu? (Atte is from Southern Finland). Saija told me to look at the sky... I looked to my left through the window.. and what the...

I ran to the window... (and on the way broke my favorite candle holder, kicking it)!!
But there were two bright suns on the sky... two suns!!


Two suns !


I tried to take pictures with my camera.. bad luck.. it was out of battery.. i started charging it for a minute and taking a shot and charging again...


A very low exposure image

With time, the bright spot started to disappear and
a bright rainbow like bar was appearing (see left)


Actually there were three !!
In the center there is the sun..
On the left there is a rainbow like reflection
on the right there is another..but very hard to see in this pic



What actually happened is called "sun dogs"...
Here is a picture taken from internet (wikipedia)

Sundog: It is an atmospheric optical phenomenon primarily associated with the reflection or refraction of sunlight by small ice crystals making up cirrus or cirrostratus clouds. Often, two sun dogs can be seen (one on each side of the sun) simultaneously.




It's not really very common phenomenon. Saija said she had never seen this kinda thing before. I am lucky enough to see it before.. (Check out old post A wonderful evening with sun bars)

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Gagan at 5/28/2008 10:13:00 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: