Friday, September 21, 2007
It was Tuesday, 18.09.07.
I was supposed to submit my application to extend my residence permit, which will expire soon.
I was expecting to get it within one or two weeks and then to apply for Shanila's.
The night before I had decided to start for the Police station at 7.30.

I woke up from bed late, and with the last strength I was able to be on the street at 8:04, my bus is at 8:06. So I failed to get money from the ATM (Oulu Police does not accept Visa Electron).

Then, I was waiting and waiting for the bus, and the bus was late. I cursed it, coz I could have got the money from ATM by this time and that could save some time.

I got down near the Police station, and went to the nearby market. There were two ATMs. I put my card into one, and the take money button was disabled!!!
Tried again, no result !!

I went to the next one, and same there ! I was panicking !! Does it mean, my card is locked ?!!

I called Tuomas and he told me probably the machines ran out of money. So I had to walk a long way to the next ATM and get 200euros.

I went to the police station and submitted my application to the lady. She checked the papers and told me, it might take even two months to process my app!!! They might need to send this to labor ministry !!

I asked is there anything that i can do about it ? She told me, well, may be you can write an application explaining. I took a sheet of paper and wrote about my marriage.

Then she looked at my picture and told me, ups, your face is small in the picture ( And interestingly in my picture, I thought, my face is quite big!!) The EU commission is stricter than before and you must take a proper picture with accurate size and face proportion ( Hm.. may be they will introduce some kind of face recognition algorithm soon)

So I had to go the near by Shoe maker shop. yes, the shoe maker take pictures too. They took 10e ( !!! ) to give me 4 pics.

I came back and submitted my app, wishing it would be processed faster.

I was a little bit relieved, at least, I was able to submit it fast. Then in the night, I suddenly figured out, I forgot to fill up my mothers birth place and my fathers birth place. I was supposed to call my mom and get info about it.

So, next morning I ran again, told the lady about it and filled up those empty places.

A few hours later she emailed me, 'Your application has been sent to Labor ministry, which can take months'
 
posted by Gagan at 9/21/2007 09:48:00 AM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    There is already some kind of face algorithm in EU. But for that your picture have to be taken from the front with some acurate position of eyes and so on(I have a new passport with such picture)

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger Gagan

    Aha...