Friday, April 03, 2009

Bangladesh has passed a law in the parliament which states setting jail terms of up to three months for begging. The new laws fix no fines for beggars, but state if anyone is caught begging in public places or shows disabilities to get alms, they will face time behind bars.

This sounded like quite an over-ambitious plan to me. Those beggars can't just really disappear from the streets just like that. For some, it's a profession I agree (you may want to watch slumdog millionaire), but for thousands, there is no other choice.

I myself cannot suggest any bright ideas to unroot this problem in a country which is devastated by nature every year. Beggars on the streets of Dhaka always raised the question to me "WHY??? Why you? Why not me?" . I myself might have personally saved a few lives by helping to set up mini business, but there are thousands others ....

However, there is always a start. May be rehabilitation should have been done first before taking actions to ban, but by setting up this law at least I hope plans will be started to be set out... and more Project Dignity like initiatives.
 
posted by Gagan at 4/03/2009 08:44:00 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments: