Sunday, August 27, 2006
I m at I.G.I ( Indira Gandhi Airport). Right now its 3:40 local time, hmm!! Next flight is at 14.00.
The best thing is they will give me breakfast at 0700..good good!!

Now I am about to tell you abt the experience that i had in the last 72 hours, Interestingly my journey back home is more evenful than I anticipated.

I started before the daily life stated at Oulu, at 5:55; took the bus to station. The train journey was quite pleasant.. I was reading a bangla Novel, that I brought 4 months before to read for this journey..planned a long time ahead:)

Buttonless Pant
The train trip to helsinki was about to be un-"EVENT"ful.. but it was not. The train was about to stop at the destination. Only 7 mins left. Then I thought why dont I clear my bludder? At Helsinki station they will charge you one euro to allow you to pee. So I walked to the toilet to save one euro!

I got into one nice toilet. Smiled at me on the mirror. Started to unbuckle my belt... Then I heard something fell off my pocket!. Ops. What could it be? It surely didnt sound like a coin. I looked down, and to my panic I found my pants button is missing. I m still ( right now) without any button. Hope the chain and the belt will together save my "Honour".

Special Luggage
I was at helsinki airport just sitting on a sofa. I was waiting to hear the call for check in for SU204. I have noticed some kiosks saying " Self checkin". In front of one of these, some old, very old ladies were barking at their husbands or boyfriends ( older than they, i guess).. probably they were confused at what button to press now. I didnt dare take risk.

When I got my boarding pass, the lady officer asked me, hmm !! Could u follow me with ur luggage, this way !! Ops ?? why on earth? Anyway, I was not worried, Finland is a place where u dont really need to be worried much...

She took me to another belt where it was written, "Special luggage".. I wondered, "hey, why mine is speical", She smiled " It is ...bye".. I saw my beloved luggage going away over the belt.. Luggage, Hope I will meet you again after your special treatment.

Ghosty moscow again
Plane landed at moscow. I was not happy at all. WHo knows.. what Moscow has written to me this time. I got down following the crowd. i was walking and rememebered this was the same corridor I had been last time. I remembered after next turn it will be transfer desk..I turned right .. and ya.. The signboard clearly said "Transfer, International". But the room was dark, only blue signboard, but no sign of human being. Ops !!

I stood there for a couple of seconds, blank. Others passed my in a hurry and went downstairs. I knew whats downstair..Passport kiosks.. to get out of airport.. surely not my place. yet what can I do? I went down too.. I was the last one in the queue.

finally,when everyone is gone, and I took a deep breath and passed my passport and ticket through the window. I said, "Actually i m a transfer passanger".The lady officer took my passport and examined, who knows what. Finally she figured out.. it was quite a fight for her to speak English, it seemed.. What I understood from her words and pointed hands, go upstairs..

I came up, in the hope someone must have come by now.

Nopp.. i was again alone in a dark room..
The transfer desk..
A plane has landed, and the transfer desk is empty? Is this any airport by any way?


I saw someone walking.. immediately ran
and said.."I m a transf...."
"You have to wait" and he vanished
Not again !!


Around 25 mins of hard sweating time, a lady ( why all officers were ladies, by the way??) came.. and asked me "Hey..how are u?" I was really really really impressed by her friendly tone. Strange!! anyway, another officer came and gave me a seal and i went into the transfer lounge..where I stayed 21 hours!

sleeping in the airport
First I must say "Thank you!!" to www.sleepingintheairport.com. Without this site I would have been surely in trouble. They told me to bring matterss.. I brought a bed-cover. Enough to lie on. I slept on the corridor. Thanks to the website they told me where to find place to sleep. otherwise I would be stuck on the metal chairs downstairs..aching my back.

I had kinda sleep in the airport.

Toilet paper
Again a biig thanks to www.sleepingintheairport.com. They told me to bring own toilet paper, so did I. Thanks God I did. There had been toilet papers when I first went in the night. In the morning, someone probably forgot to put a new role or never bothered... there was no tiolet paper in any of the three tiolets.. But yah!! I had plenty with me :D


2 Slices of breads @ 8.5
At some point, i became sure I gotta eat someting, the 'pulla's and chochlates are too sweet to eat again and again. So I sat down in the nearest restuarant.. and I ate a sandwitch ( i would rather call it 2 slices of bread) and a coke at 8.5 euros..

Plane crash
While eating I turned my cell on, and got sms from sister. Opss !! A plane had just crashed in Russia. It was coming to St. Pitsberg. And ended with all of the 170 ppl with 40 Kids! I was taking my breakfast. U could imagine how well I finished eating.

Russian Gate
4:25..next flight at 5:10. I was looking for information..which gate should I go to now? I had the boading pass though, gate box was empty. The officer had said, It will be announced later. Fine!! I went to the biggest display board. It said SU535 ( mine) Gate 13, to Delhi at 5:10. I noticed just below this row, it was written AI ( Air India) 6535 Gate 14, to Delhi, at 510 . Hey !! There are two planes at the same time from the same airport to the same destination? How stupid both of those airlines can be? Or are they actually same flight? While wondering, I walked to Gate 13. There is was written Gate 13, AI6535. Ops!! Where is mine?

I thought for a while and started runnign to gate 14. May be they mistakenly swiched the gates. Nop!! Gate 14 has another flight to Toronto or somewhere. With bumpy heartbeat I went to the tranfer desk where I got the boarding pass. There was another display, saying both SU535 and AI 6535 are at Gate 13..

Anyway, It was at Gate 13. The biggest boards do not always contain the correct information.. I leared :)

Plane jam
Being born in Dhaka, Traffic jam is one of the most usual thing for me. But I saw a plane jam. One after another...total 9 ( try to imagine 1..2..3...4...5....6..7...8...9 planes.. tales to head..
all waiting..ready to fly. but the runway was busy by the incoming planes.. We had been sitting aboard for 90 mins until the jam cleard :D

Surprise on board
It was my ninth flight in my life. And again to my great surprise, my next seat is empty!! How could it happen? In all the 9 flights, how could always my next seat be empty? It is always a great comfort to have a seat empty next to you... u can take extra space to eat, to try to sleep:)

Biggest surprise
Did I tell you how great my last 8 flights were? One was in the morning, one was in the afternoon, one was in middday, another in a stromy night also:) I saw the thunder flashing thorugh my window ( the best natural phenomenon I have ever seen in my life)..

So I was wondering what is left for me to see? Nothing.. i was lucky enough to see all the variances...

I was wrong..very wrong..

I saw a rainbow this time.. rainbow from the sky.. I saw it for just a sec or so.. I was shocked to see it.. it was like a kid's cartoon!! like a drawing..just one sec..but enuf.. dont know if anyone else had noticed that.

India transit
I came off the plane..IGI airport, India. I was looking for the sign "Transit"..and found. Walked to the door..The guard blocked !!

As he said, I need some officer with me to let me in !!

Where the hell is the officers?
Again, i followed other passenger to passport kiosks..There one officer told me..wait there..someone will come. hm!!???

Me and 3 more ppl were sitting there. 45 mins later one guy came and took our passport and tickets (!)
came back in 10 mins and came to the door where i failed to enter in.

Funny. the guard checked the officer for arms or something.. but not us :D

he told us to seat there.. and he will come back soon..dont move!!

He came with a very good news ( for me at least). He gave me a breakfast coupon !!

Wepee

Im since then waiting here for 7 am.. it is 0436 now.. not many hours left for breakfast..not many left for getting back to Dhaka too :)

Hope it will not be "Eventful anymore"

Gagan
Indira Gandi Airport.
Local Time 0437
 
posted by Gagan at 8/27/2006 11:16:00 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: